Since its introduction to the U.S. market in the early 2000s, the Toyota Prius has played a pivotal role in increasing the appeal of hybrid vehicles, thanks to their remarkable fuel efficiency. As hybrid technology evolved, it set the bar high for future, alternative energy vehicles.
Servicing hybrids requires a deep comprehension of the specialized systems intrinsic to their functioning. TOS Auto Repair, stationed in the Citrus Heights vicinity, is renowned for our hybrid vehicle maintenance. We provide all-encompassing services such as battery inspections, routine maintenance, and specialized care exclusive to hybrid vehicles. Leveraging the latest advancements in technology, our professional technicians are dedicated to getting your car back on the road safely and efficiently.
What is the Difference Between a Hybrid and a Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle (PHEV)?
When understanding the differences between full hybrids and plug-in hybrid vehicles, the size and role of their battery play a major distinguishing factor. While plug-in hybrids predominantly depend on the electric battery as their main source of power, conventional hybrid vehicles generally reserve battery usage for lower speeds. Moreover, the larger battery in plug-in hybrids often commands higher replacement costs.
Recharging methods also differ. While plug-in hybrids need an external power source for complete recharging, traditional hybrids can usually regenerate energy during braking through a process known as regenerative braking. When the battery is depleted, both full and plug-in hybrids transition to functioning as traditional gasoline-powered cars.
Conventional (Traditional) Hybrids
Functionality: Also known as HEVs, traditional hybrids, and full hybrids, conventional hybrid vehicles possess a dual-power system that consists of an internal combustion engine (found in traditional gasoline cars) as well as a relatively small electric battery. These types of cars can efficiently switch between both energy sources to optimize fuel economy.
Battery Recharging: These vehicles boast self-recharging capabilities through their regenerative braking system, which captures energy generated during braking to recharge their electric battery without the need for an external charging station.
Fuel Efficiency: Traditional hybrid cars were designed to offer superior fuel efficiency and lower expenses, compared to their full-gasoline counterparts.
Functionality: Also known as PHEVs, plug-in hybrids predominantly rely on their larger electric battery. Compared to traditional hybrids, plug-in hybrids allow for extended electric-only driving periods.
Battery Recharging: Unlike traditional hybrids, plug-in hybrids require an external source for battery recharging. Most plug-in hybrid drivers conveniently charge at home with a residential EV charging station, usually installed inside or near their garage.
Fuel Efficiency: Compared to traditional hybrids, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) typically offer better fuel efficiency, especially if most of your driving is done on its electric power.
The Main Differences Between Traditional Hybrids and Plug-in Hybrid Cars
|Distinctions||Plug-in Hybrids (PHEV)||Traditional Hybrids|
|Battery Size and Costs||Larger, more expensive battery to replace||Smaller, less expensive battery to replace|
|Battery Recharging||Requires external power source, such as a charging station||Can recharge with regenerative braking|
|Driving on Electric Power||Capable of powering the car under all conditions||Can operate the car at reduced speeds|
|Driving On Gasoline Power||Simultaneously used with electric power or used only when electric power is running low||Majority of driving situations|
Hybrid Battery Inspection
Our meticulous inspection process involves the use of advanced tools to check the state of your battery, including potential temperature disparities and signs of corrosion or leakage. Routine inspections are conducted to maximize your battery health and longevity. Furthermore, we also conduct load testing, which involves monitoring the battery while it supplies power to the vehicle and identifying any weak cells or modules in the process.
Hybrid Battery Reconditioning
Over time, the cells within a battery pack can lose efficiency due to numerous charging cycles. Revitalize your hybrid battery through our reconditioning services, a process that encompasses a series of specialized tests and procedures aimed at restoring your hybrid battery to its peak performance.
- Our professionals will assess the overall condition of the hybrid battery pack.
- The battery pack is then disassembled. Its individual modules and cells undergo a revitalization process on specialized equipment, restoring their electrical energy storage capacity.
- Each module's performance is measured, and their energy capacities are determined. They are then matched with modules of similar strength and capacity.
- In the next stage, a comprehensive charging and diagnostic test of the modules is conducted, followed by the assembly of the battery using only the optimally performing cells.
- To ensure peak performance, a thorough inspection of the other hybrid battery components is carried out.
- Finally, the refurbished battery pack is then reinstalled into the vehicle.
Hybrid Battery Repair
TOS Auto Repair offers high-quality hybrid battery repair services, including malfunctioning cell replacements and battery rebalancing, all geared towards rejuvenating your hybrid battery's capacity and safeguarding against potential overheating issues.
We begin the repair process by diagnosing any existing issues with your battery pack using our advanced tools. We replace malfunctioning cells and balance operations in order to restore your battery to its optimum functionality. At the end of the process, our professionals typically conduct a series of tests to verify the quality of our repairs.
Hybrid Battery Replacement
In some instances, a battery replacement becomes essential. This happens when reconditioning and repairs are insufficient to rectify issues such as:
- Battery leaks or corrosion
- Dashboard warning lights coming on
- Frequent fluctuations in the battery's charging levels
- Frequent need for jump starts
- Reduced acceleration power
- Significant decreases in fuel efficiency
- Strange buzzing or humming noises emitting from the battery
- Unusual odors, often described as something akin to that of rotten eggs
We offer exceptional battery replacement services, providing a range of battery options tailored to suit various vehicle requirements and budgets. Our process begins with the meticulous removal of your vehicle's old or damaged battery, creating space for a new replacement. (In the event that your preferred brand is not currently available at our shop, please notify us, and we will either make suitable arrangements or assist you in locating the necessary resources and locations to obtain it.)
Our installation procedure is carried out with the utmost precision, ensuring secure connections and accurate positioning of the battery to prevent future issues. After the new battery is installed, our skilled technicians conduct a series of diagnostic tests to ensure it functions properly.
The final step involves the responsible disposal of the old battery. Used batteries are sent to recycling facilities, where they undergo breakdown and repurposing for the manufacturing of new batteries.
Hybrid Battery Warranty
U.S. federal law mandates a minimum 8-year/100,000-mile warranty for all new EV and PHEV batteries. However, many manufacturers offer extended warranty periods for enhanced coverage.
Top Hybrid Battery Warranties: Surpassing 8 Years, 100k Miles
- 2023 KIA Niro: 10 years/100,000 miles
- 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe: 10 years/100,000 miles
- 2024 Hyundai Tucson: 10 years/100,000 miles
Additional Hybrid Battery Warranties
- 2022 Ford Escape: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2023 BMW 5 Series: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2023 BMW XM: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2023 Lincoln Corsair: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2023 Toyota Prius Prime: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2023 Porsche Panamera: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2023 Volvo S90 Recharge: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2024 Lexus NX: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2024 Mazda CX-90: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2024 Toyota RAV4 Prime: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2024 Volvo S60 Recharge: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2024 Volvo V60 Recharge: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2024 Volvo XC Recharge: 8 years/100,000 miles
- 2024 Volvo XC60 Recharge: 8 years/100,000 miles
Trusted Hybrid Car Services in the Citrus Heights Area
As the number of hybrid vehicles increases, so does the necessity for expert maintenance services. TOS Auto Repair is dedicated to meeting this demand with high-quality, bespoke services designed to cater to the particular needs of various hybrid makes and models.
Equipped with a modern facility and a team rich in experience, we continuously surpass client expectations, dedicating ourselves to prolonging your vehicle's lifespan and enhancing its performance. Reach out to us at 916-348-1696 or visit our location to schedule your appointment today!